Custom Search

Go Back   Punk Forum - Punkrockers.com > Sub Culture
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
JESUS's Sibling

Default Herberts ?

I found the expression A herbet in my search on skinhead subculture. a person that fits not the skin or punk but has a little from both .

is there any other good examples of herberts than exploited. and how about more detailed information about these wonderful creatures.

if any present then tell me more about them .
Old 06-11-2011, 02:23 PM
FORUM GOD

Actually, the term is not as flattering as you make it sound, and The Exploited and their fans would actually be insulted by the term.

A herbert, as you rightly pointed out is someone who doesn't quite fit in. They are not exclusive to the punk and/or skinhead subculture.

As "Herbert" is not a term that us yanks use, perhaps somebody of British decent could better explain it.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Supreme Emperor

According to the UrbanDictionary:

Herbert
A male, working-class, youth generally associated with the punk/ska/oi music scene. Unlike punkers, rude boys and skins the herbert has a unkempt appearance and longer hair almost like a hippy.

Herbert
(Her - Bert) The generic term used to describe moronic sub-humans who loiter around outside tacky fast food resteraunts and off licences. The term can be used in conjunction chavs and janners.

As a social class the Herbert prefers Burberry knock-offs Argos jewellery and cheap cider. The males are individually weak and easily scared off, yet in groups they can be intimidating bastards who will try to ponce anything from cigarettes to small change off you.

Herberts are not only recognisable by their shitty dress sense they are also borderline Neanderthals. They possess no grasp of wit or irony - they are proud of there ignorance and take pleasure in insulting anyone with a grain more intelligence than they possess. I imagine that's why they are so obnoxious to everyone...

I was walking past the off-licence at 10 last night and i encountered a group of herberts - one stood up next to me and demanded that i blix my watch to him.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM
JESUS's Sibling

hmmm....I would think that anyone that does not fit in anywhere is really cool. but off course if they are less intelligent that a monkey then thats really not so cool after all.-
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 AM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
According to the UrbanDictionary:

Herbert
A male, working-class, youth generally associated with the punk/ska/oi music scene. Unlike punkers, rude boys and skins the herbert has a unkempt appearance and longer hair almost like a hippy.

Herbert
(Her - Bert) The generic term used to describe moronic sub-humans who loiter around outside tacky fast food resteraunts and off licences. The term can be used in conjunction chavs and janners.

As a social class the Herbert prefers Burberry knock-offs Argos jewellery and cheap cider. The males are individually weak and easily scared off, yet in groups they can be intimidating bastards who will try to ponce anything from cigarettes to small change off you.

Herberts are not only recognisable by their shitty dress sense they are also borderline Neanderthals. They possess no grasp of wit or irony - they are proud of there ignorance and take pleasure in insulting anyone with a grain more intelligence than they possess. I imagine that's why they are so obnoxious to everyone...

I was walking past the off-licence at 10 last night and i encountered a group of herberts - one stood up next to me and demanded that i blix my watch to him.

Herbert. A non existant sub class of skinhead and punk culture made up by Gary Bushell.

Herberts do not and never did exist (not in the sense Carsten means). It was just Bushell writing a load of old bollocks in his Sounds column. Be honest have you ever met anyone at a punk gig who claimed to be a Herbert.

Herbert used to just be a word Londoners would use to describe a bunch of scally wags. "Oi you bunch of 'erberts, get out of here or I'll call the cops". It's just a general term for a bunch of kids hanging around parks and bus shelters and getting up to no good. Nothing more, nothing less. I doubt Bushell took it seriously when he wrote it. But then I don't believe he really took "Oi" seriously when he decided to invent it.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Supreme Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by urananus View Post
Herbert. A non existant sub class of skinhead and punk culture made up by Gary Bushell.

Herberts do not and never did exist (not in the sense Carsten means). It was just Bushell writing a load of old bollocks in his Sounds column. Be honest have you ever met anyone at a punk gig who claimed to be a Herbert.

Herbert used to just be a word Londoners would use to describe a bunch of scally wags. "Oi you bunch of 'erberts, get out of here or I'll call the cops". It's just a general term for a bunch of kids hanging around parks and bus shelters and getting up to no good. Nothing more, nothing less. I doubt Bushell took it seriously when he wrote it. But then I don't believe he really took "Oi" seriously when he decided to invent it.
Nope, never actually heard it used.
I just thought I'd try to help out. I was actually kind of curious myself.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM
JESUS's Sibling

aha. interesting. I think I will claim herbert even though they dont exist and people think they are not very smart. I just think it sounds cool with people that dont fit in. you may refer to me as the sites herbert from now on
Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 PM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten View Post
aha. interesting. I think I will claim herbert even though they dont exist and people think they are not very smart. I just think it sounds cool with people that dont fit in. you may refer to me as the sites herbert from now on
The herbert revival starts here.

Me and some mates did form a spoof Herbert band about ten years ago, we never got as far as thinking up a band name. We did however record one song "Oi Oi Saveloi", which from what I remember wasn't very good.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:34 PM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
Nope, never actually heard it used.
I just thought I'd try to help out. I was actually kind of curious myself.
I think it's one of those off the cuff things that got said, and then grew legs. I believe the first use of herbert was on the back cover of Oi The Album. I suspect (it's only a theory) Bushell mean't it as Punks, Skins and football hooligans, since the ICF where good buds with the Rejects (My guess is he wouldn't have been able to get "football hooligans" past the Sounds editor, so he used Herberts instead), and the whole Oi thing was essentially just Bushell using his position at sounds to market the Rejects by inventing a new youth sub culture around them.
http://www.google.com/search?q=oi+th...w=1529&bih=883
unfortunately I lent my copy to someone about 20 years ago and never got it back, so I can't verify this.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Mini Punk

Why not just call them idiots?