Custom Search

Go Back   Punk Forum - Punkrockers.com > Sub Culture
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 PM
KING

Default Pyrate Punx?

So I went to a small show on Sunday (Combat Crisis - they kicked ass BTW), and I kept seeing references to 'Pyrate Punx' - a banner on the wall, lots of hats and jackets, all with differnt locations listed on them. Now I see someone posted something in another thread mentioning them.

I'm just curious what their deal is, since I had never heard of them before. I looked them up online, but I'm more interested in what other people know about them.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Mini Punk

From what i know, they put together most of the local shows here in North county San diego.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
KING

There's a band from Tulsa that we're friends with call The Dirty Mugs that lists themselves as Pirate Punk. They basically just sound like a good punk band with an accordian on some songs.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Mini Punk

i think pyrate punx are a crew cuz out here there is the Pomona Pyrate Punx they say that they are the 25th chapter of Pyrate Punx and they have chapters in other places. They throw shows around the area.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
i think pyrate punx are a crew cuz out here there is the Pomona Pyrate Punx they say that they are the 25th chapter of Pyrate Punx and they have chapters in other places. They throw shows around the area.
That's what I gather from what I saw - they seem to have 'Chapters'.

I just found it odd, since I had never seen any reference to them before. Then again I don't get out to many shows these days, and when I do they are usually at more established venues (this one was at a rehersal space in an industrial complex).
Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
FORUM GOD

There's a few pirate punk bands in Portland, OR. Every year at Plunderathon, one of them will play on the same bill as a ninja punk band (battle of the bands style). The pirate band always wins.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Klevisha

Alot of pyrate punx go round hate moshing and shit. i dont know if it was just the ones who went to the shows ive gone to but they seemed to target people they didnt like. they seem very proud and decently organized as well.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Mini Punk

Pyrate Punx is a network of different local crews that do stuff like show booking and promotion, helping out with lodging for touring bands, weekend festivals (Libertatia and Desertatia are the only ones im aware of) and other random fun shit. They have their shit pretty organized from what Ive seen, and have some small hierarchy of the "capitans" of the local crew and the "green patches" who do grunt work and shit, and "silver patches", which are above green patches but I dont know what kind of benefits they get.

Im not in the actual crew, just a supporter and friends with alot of the guys/bands from the SD Pyrate Punx. Besides shows being busted by cops, I dont think ive been to a dissapointing Pyrate Punx show. They always get sick bands to play (like THE FREEZE this friday, fuck yeah) and like ive said always try to help out touring bands.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
TenaciousTori

Jus wanted to put my 2 cents in and say that they are a really amazing band and people that haven't heard of them yet should mos definitely look em up if they ever get a second
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Mini Punk

Pirate punx? That sounds a very interesting topic for my radio show. Can anyone tell me more about them or mail me a telephone number so I can interview them? I'm very stoked to hear about this! I mean, is this sort of like the same organisation structure as a biker club like hells angels or outlaws? What is Pyrate Punx precisely?