Custom Search

Go Back   Punk Forum - Punkrockers.com > News - World News!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
KING

Default Jailed for $280: The Return of Debtors' Prisons

Quote:
How did breast cancer survivor Lisa Lindsay end up behind bars? She didn't pay a medical bill -- one the Herrin, Ill., teaching assistant was told she didn't owe. "She got a $280 medical bill in error and was told she didn't have to pay it," The Associated Press reports. "But the bill was turned over to a collection agency, and eventually state troopers showed up at her home and took her to jail in handcuffs."

Although the U.S. abolished debtors' prisons in the 1830s, more than a third of U.S. states allow the police to haul people in who don't pay all manner of debts, from bills for health care services to credit card and auto loans. In parts of Illinois, debt collectors commonly use publicly funded courts, sheriff's deputies, and country jails to pressure people who owe even small amounts to pay up, according to the AP.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jailed...--prisons.html
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
MASTER

i've been watching this for many yrs now.. how our justice system promulgates reasons to ticket, arrest, incarcerate just to keep their salary intact... and the other sad fucked thing about having a state appointed lawyer if you can't afford one only means they won't put much or any effort into your case if you can't afford one... and that apparently is if you live in a state that practices your Miranda Rights...
Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Mini MASTER

Man...this is really crappy, I mean god forbid you land in jail...because you didn't pay somethings that is way over priced to begin with...then potentially lose your job because you get locked up and miss work if you can't afford to pay right away...which assuming you haven't paid for it yet, because you can't

sigh...this is just getting more and more ugly...eventually you push people too far in one direction they bare teeth. at least we hope.

and the lady in the story...christ on a pogo stick...can't they figure simple shit like that out?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
FORUM GOD

You are not getting all the facts. If you recieve a summons for a deposition and don't show up you can go to jail (for example) You weren't jailed for the debt...you were jailed for ignoring the court order to appear for the deposition.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbright View Post
You are not getting all the facts. If you recieve a summons for a deposition and don't show up you can go to jail (for example) You weren't jailed for the debt...you were jailed for ignoring the court order to appear for the deposition.
heh well this is good to know cuz i owe the city of SD like $5K & i'm not paying (cuz they're fucking nuts!!).... they've sent like 10 notices. straight to the shredder!